It’s already bbq time! This dish can be prepared before grilling the meat or fish, however be sure to cover the serving plate with aluminum foil. Olive oil, rosemary and garlic make a great seasoning with a powerful and distinct Mediterranean character!
Prep time- 20 min + 20 min seasoning time
Cooking time- 10- 15 min Servings- 8
- 600g (1.3 lbs) red, orange and yellow peppers, firm
- 500g (1.1 lbs) small, firm zucchini- vegetable marrows are even better and they are the zucchini we mainly use in Tuscany
- 500g (1.1 lbs) small eggplants- I prefer the long ones
- 200g (7oz.) cherry tomatoes- optional, add them if you like to add a more watery texture to the mix
- 500g (1.1 lbs) champignon and cremini mushrooms (all similar size)
- 2/3 sweet red onions – best choice “Tropea” onion
For the seasoning:
- Ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 fresh rosemary springs
Mix minced garlic, minced rosemary leaves, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Cut zucchini, peppers, onions and eggplants the size of a mushroom. Toss the vegetable mix into the bowl so that dressing reaches all the pieces. Let it rest for 20 min tossing once in a while. Prepare skewers mixing the vegetables- put pepper beside onions for best result. Grill skewers for about 10 min turning them all sides.
Now a few tips:
- The best tool to prepare the seasoning is the mezzaluna or half-moon (in my family we use the same mix to “drug” chicken or pork loin before roasting).
- If you use wood skewers instead of metal ones, soak them in water for 30 min before use so they don’t burn on the bbq.