Here is my homage to the approaching spring- the zucchini/pine nuts combination brings back memories of life on the farm with its fresh taste. Toasted pine nuts add richness and imparts a creamy taste...with no cream added!
- 4 medium zucchini (I like to use the light green ones called marrows- which is what we grow at the farm)
- 1 big leek or 2 small ones
- 1/2 cup of fresh pinenuts
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano or thyme
- grated Parmigiano to taste
- extra virgin olive oil - 4 tbsp for the pan plus some for final drizzling
- 320 gr short pasta (I like trofie or gemelli pasta but you can use virtually any short pasta)
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise, pull out some of the core and cut them into 1/2 in. pieces.
- Put olive oil in a pan at medium heat with curry, turmeric and oregano for a minute or two, then saute zucchini with thinly sliced leeks until soft, adding a little water if necessary.
- In a separate non-stick pan toast pine nuts until they start to turn golden/brown (stir often because they tend to burn easily)
- Boil pasta in abundant salty water. When ready toss it in the zucchini sauce pan, add pine nuts, drizzle some oil and grated Parmigiano
For a more summery taste add some fresh mint before serving!